So everyone has had regular old pancakes but have you ever had baklava and honey pancakes? This amazing pancake recipe is simple and makes for a deliciously sweet breakfast or an after dinner treat. I make my pancake batter with buttermilk to make them extra moist and with whipped egg whites to make them extra fluffy. These honey pancakes are layered with a sweet nut mixture containing pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts, cinnamon, and of course like any good baklava, these have a sweet honey syrup. My syrup has orange peel and clove in it so the depth of flavor is amazing! I kid you not I can literally eat this syrup with a spoon. I promise you, this homemade pancake recipe will soon become a family favorite!
So I got this idea when my husband and I moved from the big city of New York to the small town of El Paso, Texas on the border of Mexico! We made the move when my husband Kevin got accepted into medical school here. Never did we think we would find ourselves living in the southwest but we are so glad we did! One of our favorite things to do down here is find and try new breakfast places....which leads me to this recipe. I got the inspiration for this recipe from one of our small, go-to breakfast spots here in El Paso. They have baklava pancakes at this place and my husband was instantly in love. We probably went back for these waffles three times in the same week! So of course I thought it would be a cute idea to try and create my own baklava pancake recipe for him....also because if I didn't, we may have had to take out a loan to sustain his pancake addiction. It took me a few tries at this. My husband is very picky and these had to be just right or he would turn me down for the resturaunt pancakes instead. But after a few tries, he LOVED them. I used my go to buttermilk pancake recipe with whipped egg whites. This creates a SUPER fluffy and moist pancake. Then basically all I do after that is layer each pancake with nuts and honey orange syrup! They are so fluffy, sweet and packed with honey, orange and nutty goodness…pretty much perfect!
HOW TO MAKE THE FLUFFIEST PANCAKES
- Use buttermilk. This creates a fluffy moist pancake. Regular milk won't be as good.
- Separate your eggs. While you add your yolks to your batter like normal, you take your egg whites and beat them on high, creating soft peeks. Then fold this into your batter. This really helps create a fluffy pancake!
- Fold in your egg whites do not whisk them in. If you whisk them or mix them heavily, you will deflate the egg whites you just whipped. The whipped air in those egg whites is what creates a fluffy pancake. So be careful to gently fold them in!
- To fold in your egg whites you want to gently create a figure 8 gesture with your spatula. This takes longer than just simply mixing your batter but it is worth it for fluffier pancakes.
HOW TO MAKE THE ORANGE HONEY SYRUP
So if you have had good baklava, then you know the best part is the honey syrup! On the stove in a saucepan, heat your water, honey, sugar, orange peel and a pinch of clove. The peel really creates a deep orange flavor in this syrup! Bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce your heat to a light simmer. This process will reduce and thicken your syrup. Simmer for about 25 minutes and then take it off the heat. Add your orange juice and remove your peel. Make sure to not add your juice until the end or it will all evaporate. Also don't just discard those peels...those are now candies and they are DELICIOUS! Go ahead and snack on those! Pour this liquid gold all over your pancakes! This orange honey syrup is so amazing. I kid you not, if no one was watching I would eat this stuff with a spoon.
A perfect morning is waking up to the smells of honey, pistachios, orange and homemade pancakes! These pancakes are basically just baklava that is socially acceptable to eat for breakfast... so I'm in!
Lastly, if you try out this Baklava and Honey Pancakes recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how they turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Baklava and Honey Pancakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup salted butter (melted)
- zest of 2 oranges
- ½ cup pistashios
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoon butter (melted)
Orange Honey Syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- peel from one orange
- juice from 2 oranges (about ¼ cup)
- pinch clove
- In a large bowl combine your flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and mix. Add your egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, and orange zest. Mix until combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip your egg whites until you get soft peeks. Fold this into your batter.
- Use ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop and pour your batter into a pan. Cook on medium low heat until bubbles start to form on the top, then flip and cook on that side for another 3 minutes. If using a nonstick pan you do not need butter for this.
- In a food processor add all of your nuts. Pulse lightly to chop your nuts.
- In a small bowl add your nut mixture, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add your melted butter and combine.
Honey Orange Syrup
- In a saucepan add your water, sugar, honey, orange peel, and clove. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add your orange juice.
- Remove your orange peel and let cool.
- Time to stack your pancakes. Start with one pancake, add a little of your nut mixture and a drizzle of your honey syrup. Repeat again until you get your desired amount of stack!
- Add some extra honey syrup on top and enjoy!
Leave a Reply