Churro Waffles with a Chili Chocolate Sauce. This amazing waffle recipe is simple and makes for a deliciously sweet breakfast or an after dinner treat. I make my waffle batter from scratch every time and that is the foundation to the churro waffle. These buttermilk waffles are smothered in cinnamon sugar and then topped with a chili chocolate sauce. The kick from the chili really cuts through the sweetness of the cinnamon sugar. I promise you, this recipe will soon become a family favorite!
So I got this idea when my husband and I moved from the big city of New York to the small town of El Paso, Texas on the border of Mexico! We made the move when my husband Kevin got accepted into medical school here. Never did we think we would find ourselves living in the southwest but we are so glad we did! Since living on the borderlands we have been immersed into the beautiful Mexican culture as well as a few other benefits such as the perfect weather and gorgeous views of the desert, mountains, and sunsets. This Mexican influence has really made its way into my recipes and I am loving it! It actually wasn't until I moved here that I had my first churro! I know its hard to believe that I missed out on this delicious treat for the majority of my life, but don't worry I am making up for lost time 😉
My husband is a big sweets guy, so he prefers his breakfast just as sweet as he likes his desserts. And it just so happens that waffles are his favorite breakfast food, so I knew I wanted to create a new waffle recipe for him.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from one of our small, go-to breakfast spots here in El Paso. They have churro waffles at this place and my husband was instantly in love. We probably went back for these waffles three times in the same week! So of course I thought it would be a cute idea to try and create my own churro waffle recipe for him. And just like I expected, he LOVED them. I used my go to buttermilk waffle recipe with whipped egg whites. This creates a SUPER fluffy and crunchy waffle. Then basically all I do after that is brush each waffle in butter and HEAVILY coat them in cinnamon sugar. They are so crunchy, fluffy, sweet and packed with cinnamon...pretty much perfect.
I top these waffles off with a chocolate sauce. But not just any chocolate sauce. I decided to add a few of the spices that I find a lot of here in Mexican food. The chocolate sauce has cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder and cayenne pepper. So this sauce has a spicy kick to it that balances out the sweet chocolate perfectly. You almost need that spice. It might sound weird to you but trust me, you wont eat chocolate any other way once you try this sauce.
If you are really looking for an even sweeter breakfast option, you can pair these waffles with my Cinnamon Toast Crunch Ice Cream..... you might get diabetes after that but it will be worth it.
- Use buttermilk. This creates a fluffy waffle with a crisp edge.
- Separate your eggs. While you add your yolks to your batter like normal, you take your egg whites and beat them on high, creating soft peeks. Then fold this into your batter. This really helps create a fluffy waffle!
- Fold in your egg whites Do not whisk them in. If you whisk them or mix them heavily, you will deflate the egg whites you just whipped.
- To fold in your egg whites you want to gently create a figure 8 gesture with your spatula. This takes longer than just simply mixing your batter but it is worth it for fluffier waffles.
A perfect morning is waking up to smells of cinnamon sweetness in the air. Serve these warm and enjoy how fluffy, crunchy, and chocolaty these are with that little kick at the end from the chili.
Lastly, if you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how they turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And don't forget to tag me on Instagram!
Churro Waffles with a Chili Chocolate Sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted butter
Chili Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl combine your buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl combine your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients.
- In a stand mixer, whisk your egg whites on high speed until they become fluffy and form soft peeks.
- Fold your egg whites into your batter. Do not whisk or mix.
- Using a waffle maker cook your waffles.
- Mix your cinnamon and sugar together and in a separate bowl, melt your ¼ cup of butter.
- Brush your waffles on both sides with the melted butter, then immediately and heavily sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Chili Chocolate Sauce
- In a sauce pan, warm your half and half on a medium low heat.
- Add your sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Add your chocolate and whisk until melted
- Add your spices and whisk.
- Drizzle your sauce over the waffles and serve immediately!