So picture this....soft buttery dough swirled with sweet rich chocolate and nutty sesame spread, with extra morsels of melted chocolate chips in each bit, then topped with more chocolate sesame goodness. There is nothing not to love about these chocolate tahini rolls, every bite is melt in your mouth delicious. These rolls are a great make-ahead breakfast or a special brunch item for any upcoming occasions. Eat these warm…with plenty of that chocolate sesame spread smeared on top – trust me you will thank me later.
Ok so one of my favorite flavor combinations is one that not everyone commonly knows about... and that is chocolate and tahini. Tahini is basically ground up sesame seeds, and if you ever had sesame seeds you know they have a kind of nutty flavor. So chocolate and tahini is similar to chocolate and peanut butter. So I found this delicious Chocolate Sesame Butter by Pure Foods, which I fell in love with, so I had to use it in these cinnamon rolls. The only way to make cinnamon rolls better is to add chocolate to them. That being said if you would like to try out the product, I highly recommend it. Find this chocolate sesame butter here, and don't forget to use promo code THEARTOFBAKING to get 15% off your order!
Now of course if you do not have this butter on hand you can always make your own by mixing equal part semi sweet chocolate chips with tahini. You could also replace this spread with nutella or a chocolate peanut butter spread as well.
HOW LONG DO CINNAMON ROLLS LAST
Now I have probably never turned down a cinnamon roll no matter how old it is, but of course the fresher the better. Cinnamon rolls are best eaten day of. so I recommend baking them day of, but if you do not have enough time you can always make them the night before and then pop them into the oven the morning of. But if you store cinnamon rolls properly they can last for 2-3 days. I think the best way to store them would be to wrap each roll in plastic wrap and then place them all in an air tight container.
WHY DIDIN'T MY CINNAMON ROLLS RISE
So this is the age old question that I get, and unfortunately I too have experienced the disappointment you get when you go back to that ball of dough that is suppose to have doubled in size and then you realize.... it failed. That is the worse feeling ever! But after a few of those failed attempts I have learned why this happens so I can avoid it ever happening again.
- Always use Rapid Rise or instant Yeast. I use Fleischmann's and I never have a problem with them.
- Now this is KEY. Make sure your milk is between 95-105 degrees F. You want it to be warm enough to activate it but not too hot that it kills the yeast. So I recommend buying a candied or meat thermometer in order to check that you have the right temperature!
- You also want to make sure all your other ingredients are also at room temperature or a similar 95-105 degrees. So make sure after you melt your butter you let it cool back down. make sure that your eggs are at room temperature and not too cold because if they are they will bring the temperature of your dough up or down which will again effect the rise of your yeast.
- Make sure to cover your dough/ bowl with tight plastic wrap, trapping in that heat, helping your dough rise
WHY ARE MY CINNAMON ROLLS DRY
So no one likes a dry cinnamon roll. Now if you follow my recipe to the T, you will not get a dry roll. actually you will get a very moist roll. The key to avoid a dry roll is to add enough butter. In the batter itself but also layered in the roll as well. It acts as almost a baster for the rolls, as if you were basting a turkey. Butter = Moist.
1. CHOCOLATE SESAME BUTTER. You can make your own by mixing equal parts tahini and equal parts melted semi sweet chocolate chips. you can also replace it with nutella for a different flavor. Or even mix equal parts peanut butter and melted semi sweet chocolate chips. any of these would be delicious!
2. BUTTER. This keeps your rolls moist and gooey and is very important
3. CINNAMON. I love the hint of cinnamon in these rolls, but these rolls are delicious without it as well.
4. YEAST. This fast acting yeast is what makes your rolls rise and get super fluffy and airy.
5. SUGAR. what is a cinnamon roll without a little sweetness? This sugar also helps feeds your yeast!
Lastly, if you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how it turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Tahini Cinnamon Rolls
- ¾ cup Whole milk (95-105 degrees)
- 2 packets of instant yeast
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup salted butter (melted and cooled)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup salted butter (softened)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Chocolate Sesame Butter Recommended brand is Pure Food. Read blog post for discounted code and substitutions
- ½ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Chocolate Sesame Butter
- sesame seeds
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add your milk and yeast. mix together. Let it sit until a little foamy/ bubbly and smells like yeast. about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla, butter. Combine. Mix in your flour and blend on medium speed with your dough hook attachment. mix until combined and dough is separated from the bowl.
- Transfer your dough to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for at least one hour, it should double in size.
- Using a rolling pin place your dough on a floured surface and roll out your dough to about a 10"x 16" rectangle.
- using a fork mix together your butter, cinnamon and sugar in a medium bowl
- Spread your cinnamon mixture evenly on your dough
- On top of that spread your chocolate sesame butter and then sprinkle your chocolate chips on top of that.
- Roll your dough in on itself from one long side to the other
- Cut your roll into 12 even pieces
- Place your rolls in a 9x 11 inch baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake your rolls at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let cool
- spread the remaining ½ cup of chocolate sesame spread on top of your rolls and sprinkle with sesame seeds.