This Pistachio Apricot Chocolate Tart is literally the perfect pairing of flavors... with the salty, nutty, creamy pistachio crust, the sweet fruity apricot preserves and the rich decadent dark chocolate... you will never eat chocolate any other way. These tarts sound so fancy and impressive but between you and me, they are actually very easy to make. This is the perfect way to end a romantic Valentines Day dinner.
HOW TO MAKE THE TART CRUST
This is not a traditional tart crust with flour and butter; its a pistachio based crust that is easier than the usual crust. Pistachios are one of my favorite nuts. They are so creamy and salty and pair perfectly with chocolate. To make this simple crust you start by grinding up your pistachios and then add in your sugar and salt. Then whip your egg whites in a stand mixer until they are fluffy and hold stiff peeks. Then fold these into your pistachios. That's it, your pretty much done! Just press this into your tart pan with your hands...no rolling pin needed!
HOW TO MAKE THE TART FILLING
My favorite part about this recipe is that the filling only needs one medium sauce pan! NO stand mixer required! On the stove melt your chocolate and cream together. Then simply add your eggs, sugar, salt and whisk! That's literally it! Pour this into your prepared tart shells and bake. See I told you they are easy (and quick)! I add a layer of apricot preserves because they add the right amount of sweet tang to cut through the heavy filling, but you can take this out if you desire and it will be just as amazing!
HOW TO STORE THE TARTS
These tarts hold nicely for about 3-5 days after baking. I recommend storing these in an air tight container in the fridge. But my guess is you wont have any left overs!
- When pressing your crust into your tart shells, try to press it in a consistent thickness. This helps the crust bake evenly. Also make sure to press the crust up the sides as well!
- Before you mix your egg into the filling, make sure to take your filling off of the stove. You don't want to cook your eggs!
- Make sure to get a high quality apricot preserve. This makes a big difference. You want a fresh fruity flavor, not an artificial sugary flavor.
- I like to decorate my tarts with a little cocoa powder sifted on top and then sprinkle on a few crushed pistachios. This is beautiful, but also lets people know what is inside.
Lastly, if you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how they turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Pistachio Apricot Chocolate Tart
- 2 cups unshelled pistachios
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, grind up your pistachios finely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip your egg whites until you get stiff peeks.
- In a bowl combine your pistachios, salt, and sugar. Then fold in your egg whites.
- Press your pistachio mixture on the bottom and sides of your tart pans.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let cool.
- Spread a layer of the apricot preserves on the bottom of your crusts.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt your chocolate and heavy cream until melted
- Take the pot off of the heat and mix in your eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Pour your chocolate mixture into your tart shells.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Leave a Reply