These homemade buttermilk biscuits are savory, flaky and ooh so buttery. And of course they are made with classic buttermilk, making them SUPER moist. Oh and not to mention that they are super easy to make! Eat them warm right out of the oven... with a little honey and butter.... these are literally the best biscuits you will ever eat!
So you can probably tell I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but every once in a while I crave something savory, and these homemade buttermilk biscuits hit the spot (maybe with a little bit of jam or honey on top of course!). So creating this recipe wasn't easy but I think I found the perfect ratio. These biscuits melt in your mouth like butter and the fresh bit of thyme really brightens them up. But if you want you can either leave this out or replace it with any other herb.
WHAT TO PUT ON YOUR BISCUIT
So these buttermilk biscuits are amazing on their own but they go great with a lot of things! My favorite is spreading a little black berry jam on mine.... omg SO GOOD!! You can get my easy blackberry jam recipe here.
You can also pair them with some butter and honey, or sausage and gravy, or make a sausage egg and cheese.
EASIEST NO RISE RECIPE
So the best part of the recipe is how easy it is, No yeast or rise here! Just simply mix your dry ingredients, cut in your butter and mix in your buttermilk!
HOW TO GET FLAKY LAYERS
This is a key step in getting those pull apart layers that everyone so desperately loves. First press out your dough into a rectangle that is about ¼ inch thick. Then take one side of the dough and fold it on to the center, then take the other side and fold it in on top of that.... kind of like a tri-fold pamphlet. Press your dough down again and do this a second time! Now you have all of your layers! After your second fold make sure to leave your dough to about 1 inch thick! This creates a really tall biscuit! Cut them out and bake!
So you know those biscuits in a can that pop open.... yeah well if you think those are good your mind is about the blown. Serve these warm out of the oven!
Lastly, if you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how they turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Buttermilk Thyme Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup salted butter - cut into small cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in your butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter, until your butter is the size of oats
- Add your buttermilk and thyme and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Flour your surface and then press out your dough into a rectangle about ¼ inch thick. Then tri-fold your dough into itself (like a trifold pamphlet). Press your dough out again to about ¼ inch thick. Then repeat your tri-fold. Slightly press your dough out again but this time keeping it to about 1 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out your biscuits. Then re-knead your scraps and repeat the above step. Then cut out the remaining biscuits. You should get between 4 and 6 total.
- Mix your egg and ¼ cup buttermilk together and use it as a wash on the top of your biscuits.
- Let your biscuits rest 15 minutes in the fridge. Pre-Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake biscuits for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately out of the oven!