Are you looking for a way to satisfy your chocolate cravings? Look no further than these decadent red velvet brownies with cream cheese frosting.
These homemade brownies are the perfect treat for any occasion, whether it's Valentine's Day or just a regular day when you want to indulge your sweet tooth. With their bright red color and rich chocolatey flavor, these chewy red velvet brownies will surely impress any chocolate lover.
If you look around my blog you will see that I LOVE making brownies. I try to turn everything into a delicious fudgy brownie. From my thin mint brownies to my peanut butter cup brownies, or even my classic crinkle top brownies, I really can't get enough of this comforting dessert.
Although I've probably tested and tried over a hundred different brownie recipes, these red velvet brownies with cream cheese frosting have become one of my favorites!
Throw away that store-bought brownie mix and get ready to make these decadent brownies from scratch!
Table of Contents
What is red velvet?
Red velvet is a popular cake flavor known for its vibrant red color, moist texture, and distinctive taste.
It is typically made with a combination of cocoa powder, buttermilk, and a small amount of vinegar, which contributes to its unique flavor profile.
The cake is often layered with a rich cream cheese frosting, which complements the sweetness of the cake.
Its rich flavor and visually appealing appearance make it a favorite choice for special occasions and celebrations.
Why you will love these brownies with cream cheese frosting
- Super easy to make. The recipe is surprisingly simple, and you can easily whip up a batch using basic pantry ingredients. All you need is two bowls and a baking dish. Less equipment equals less clean up. Who doesn't love that?
- Guaranteed to be fudgy EVERY SINGLE TIME! I promise you this recipe is tried and true and it will give you fudgy gooey brownies every time.
- Salted butter: this brownie recipe uses a lot of butter which gives them that super moist and fudgy texture. I use salted butter because the salt helps balance out the bitterness of the cocoa powder and sweetness of the chocolate chips.
- Instant coffee: one of the hidden secrets of baking is that coffee enhances the deep nutty flavor that chocolate naturally has. I use a tiny bit of instant coffee to give these chocolatey brownies an extra layer of flavor. You can substitute this with espresso powder if you want a stronger flavor.
- Cream cheese: the base of our tangy cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese frosting is the perfect way to top these brownies because the tang from the cream cheese helps cut through the decadent chocolate flavor of the chocolate chips and cocoa powder.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: I prefer to use semi-sweet chocolate chips to provide some sweetness to cut through the natural bitterness of cocoa but you can use any type of chocolate chips that you like (dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, etc.).
Step by Step Instructions
Red velvet brownies
Step one: Over a double boiler melt your butter and chocolate. If you need help with setting up a double boiler, I will have detailed instructions below. Let cool.
Step two: In a large mixing bowl combine your eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and your desired amount of red food coloring. Then whisk in your cooled chocolate and melted butter mixture.
Step three: In a separate bowl combine your dry ingredients such as coffee, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Step four: Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat everything together until well combined. I like to use an electric stand mixer for this because it helps to ensure there are virtually no clumps but you can mix by hand.
Step five: Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Leave some overhang for easy removal. Pour your brownie batter in the pan and spread evenly.
Step six: Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until the center comes out clean. Let cool!
Sweet cream cheese frosting
Step one: In a medium sized bowl combine your cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until combined and smooth.
Once the brownies have cooled, spread a generous layer of cream cheese frosting over the top for the perfect finishing touch! Feel free to add your favorite sprinkles for a festive touch.
What is a double boiler?
A double boiler, also known as a bain-marie, is a kitchen tool or cooking technique used for gentle and indirect heating of delicate foods. It consists of two nested pots, with the smaller pot or bowl fitting inside the larger one.
Double boilers are commonly used for tasks like melting chocolate, making delicate sauces, preparing custards, or melting ingredients that require gentle and even heating. By using a double boiler, you can prevent direct heat from burning or scorching sensitive foods that may be prone to overheating.
How to set up a double boiler
Setting up a double boiler is relatively easy:
- Choose two pots: one larger and one smaller.
- Fill the larger pot halfway with water.
- Place the smaller pot inside the larger pot, ensuring it doesn't touch the water.
- Heat the double boiler on low to medium heat.
- Add ingredients to the smaller pot and stir occasionally until melted!
- If you want a brighter red color to your brownies then take out the melted chocolate.
- Make sure your chocolate and butter have cooled before adding it to your egg mixture otherwise you will cook your eggs!
- If you chose to bake in a 9x12 pan do not forget to lower your cook time.
- I recommend using liquid food coloring and not a gel. From my experience liquid food coloring tends to be more saturated while the gel ones are more mild in color.
Should I use liquid or gel food coloring?
The simple answer is that it doesn't matter. However what I have noticed is that liquid food coloring tends to be more saturated while the gel ones are more mild in color. But use whatever you have!
Do I need to melt my chocolate with a double boiler?
No. If you are short on time you can melt your chocolate and butter in the microwave. However I recommend microwaving it in 5 second intervals, then checking it and stirring it. The double boiler helps prevent the chocolate and butter from burning so just make sure if you are microwaving it, you are checking on it frequently.
Storage and freezing instructions
Although these red velvet brownies with cream cheese frosting are meant to be eaten together, its probably easiest if you store them separately.
The red velvet brownies should be stored in an airtight container, wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 3 days for maximum freshness. The cream cheese frosting can be stored in an airtight container for one to two weeks.
If freezing the brownies and cream cheese frosting can be stored for up to six months!
Whether you're baking them for a special occasion or just for yourself, these red velvet brownies are sure to be a hit. So why not give this homemade brownie recipe a try?
Lastly, if you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how they turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And don't forget to tag me on Instagram!
Extra Fudgy Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Stand mixer optional
- Baking sheet
- 1 ½ cups salted butter
- 2 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup salted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Over a double boiler, melt your butter and chocolate. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine your eggs, sugar, vanilla and your desired amount of food coloring.
- Whisk in your melted chocolate.
- In a separate bowl combine your instant coffee, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Whisk well.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Leave some overhang on the sides for easy removal. Pour your batter in the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until the center comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a bowl combine your cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Once the brownies come out and are cooled completely, ice your brownies.
- Serve and enjoy!